Disaster Recovery: After the Storm
Beaufort County / Hilton Head Island Hurricane Re-entry Hotline: 1-800-963-5023
The toll free Hurricane Re-entry Hotline for all Town residents and visitors, will be available with up-to-date information about returning to the island after the storms landfall. Call this number to receive information as to when residents will be allowed to return to the island, reports of damage, status of basic utilities, and other pertinent information.
The State of South Carolina's toll-free Public Information Phone System (PIPS) is provided to disseminate accurate evacuation and shelter information to visitors and citizens for South Carolina during a hurricane evacuation. The toll-free number is 1-866-246-0133.
- If you are in a public shelter, remain there until informed by those in charge that it is safe to leave.
- If you have evacuated out of town, you can obtain updated hurricane recovery information regarding Hilton Head Island by calling the toll free Re-entry Hotline at 1-800-963-5023. Recorded messages will advise of road conditions, damage estimates, utility restoration timelines, curfews, shelter information, times the County expects to allow reentry, etc.
- Updated disaster recovery and re-entry information will be posted on the Hilton Head Island and Beaufort County's web sites at:
- Note: if hurricane damage occurs, there could be a possible delay in allowing residents to return to the island. Emergency workers must return to the Island to restore utilities, remove debris from the main roadways and to carry out search and rescue efforts. Please be patient!
- Driving may be especially hazardous due to the following: debris on streets, possible flooding, emergency vehicles in operation, traffic signals and street lights may be out of service. Stay away from rivers or streams or other places where flooding is likely to occur.
- Remember, avoid contact with flood water. Never walk through flood water or drive on flooded roads. Avoid dangling electrical wires and downed power lines. Most flood water is contaminated. Thoroughly disinfect anything that becomes wet.
- Downed power or dangling power lines poses a lethal threat.
- Make emergency repairs to prevent further damage.
- Check to see that refrigerated food hasn't spoiled if there has been a power outage.
- Use emergency water rations until you've been notified that the water supply is safe.
- Report damage to your insurance agent .
- To register with FEMA for assistance:
Registration may be possible at a shelter or Disaster Recovery Center. Listen for instructions from local officials.
Toll Free Number: 800-621-3362
(hearing impaired: 1-800-462-7585) or